Nebraska Revised Statute 44-1607
Chapter 44 Section 1607
Life insurance; policy; contents.
No policy of group life insurance shall be delivered in this state unless it contains in substance the following provisions or provisions which in the opinion of the Director of Insurance are more favorable to the persons insured or at least as favorable to the persons insured and more favorable to the policyholder, except that provisions of subdivisions (6) through (10) of this section shall not apply to policies insuring the lives of debtors, that the standard provisions required for individual life insurance policies shall not apply to group life insurance policies, and that if the group life insurance policy is on a plan of insurance other than the term plan, it shall contain a nonforfeiture provision or provisions which in the opinion of the Director of Insurance is or are equitable to the insured persons and to the policyholder, but nothing in this section shall be construed to require that group life insurance policies contain the same nonforfeiture provisions as are required for individual life insurance policies:
(1) A provision that the policyholder is entitled to a grace period of thirty-one days for the payment of any premium due except the first, during which grace period the death benefit coverage shall continue in force, unless the policyholder shall have given the insurer written notice of discontinuance in advance of the date of discontinuance and in accordance with the terms of the policy. The policy may provide that the policyholder shall be liable to the insurer for the payment of a pro rata premium for the time the policy was in force during such grace period;
(2) A provision that the validity of the policy shall not be contested, except for nonpayment of premiums, after it has been in force for two years from its date of issue; and that no statement made by any person insured under the policy relating to his or her insurability shall be used in contesting the validity of the insurance with respect to which such statement was made after such insurance has been in force prior to the contest for a period of two years during such person's lifetime nor unless it is contained in a written instrument signed by him or her. This provision shall not preclude the assertion at any time of defenses based upon provisions in the policy that relate to eligibility for coverage;
(3) A provision that a copy of the application, if any, of the policyholder shall be attached to the policy when issued, that all statements made by the policyholder or by the persons insured shall be deemed representations and not warranties, and that no statement made by any person insured shall be used in any contest unless a copy of the instrument containing the statement is or has been furnished to such person or, in the event of death or incapacity of the insured person, to his or her beneficiary or personal representative;
(4) A provision setting forth the conditions, if any, under which the insurer reserves the right to require a person eligible for insurance to furnish evidence of individual insurability satisfactory to the insurer as a condition to part or all of his or her coverage;
(5) A provision specifying that an equitable adjustment of premiums, of benefits, or of both is to be made in the event the age of a person insured has been misstated, such provision to contain a clear statement of the method of adjustment to be used;
(6) A provision that any sum becoming due by reason of the death of the person insured shall be payable to the beneficiary designated by the person insured, except that if the policy contains conditions pertaining to family status, the beneficiary may be the family member specified by the policy terms, subject to the provisions of the policy in the event there is no designated beneficiary, as to all or any part of such sum, living at the death of the person insured, and subject to any right reserved by the insurer in the policy and set forth in the certificate to pay at its option a part of such sum not exceeding two thousand dollars to any person appearing to the insurer to be equitably entitled thereto by reason of having incurred funeral or other expenses incident to the last illness or death of the person insured;
(7) A provision that the insurer will issue to the policyholder for delivery to each person insured an individual certificate setting forth a statement as to the insurance protection to which he or she is entitled, to whom the insurance benefits are payable, a statement as to any dependent's coverage included in the certificate, and the rights and conditions set forth in subdivisions (8), (9), and (10) of this section;
(8) A provision that if the insurance, or any portion of it, on a person covered under the policy ceases because of termination of employment or of membership in the class or classes eligible for coverage under the policy, such person shall be entitled to have issued to him or her by the insurer, without evidence of insurability, an individual policy of life insurance without disability or other supplementary benefits if application for the individual policy is made and the first premium paid to the insurer within thirty-one days after such termination and if (a) the individual policy shall, at the option of such person, be on any one of the forms customarily issued by the insurer at the age and for the amount applied for, except that the group policy may exclude the option to elect term insurance, (b) the individual policy shall be in an amount not in excess of the amount of life insurance which ceases because of such termination, less the amount of any life insurance for which the person becomes eligible under the same or any other group policy within thirty-one days after termination, except that any amount of insurance which shall have matured on or before the date of such termination as an endowment payable to the person insured, whether in one sum or in installments or in the form of an annuity, shall not, for the purposes of this subdivision, be included in the amount which is considered to cease because of such termination, (c) the premium on the individual policy shall be at the insurer's then customary rate applicable to the form and amount of the individual policy, to the class of risk to which such person then belongs, and to his or her age attained on the effective date of the individual policy, and (d) subject to the conditions set forth in subdivisions (8)(a) through (c) of this section, the conversion privilege shall also be available (i) to a spouse and a surviving dependent, if any, at the death of the employee or member, with respect to the coverage under the group policy that terminates by reason of death and (ii) to the dependent of the employee or member upon termination of coverage of the dependent, while the employee or member remains insured under the group policy, by reason of the dependent ceasing to be a qualified family member under the group policy;
(9) A provision that if the group policy terminates or is amended so as to terminate the insurance of any class of insured persons, every person insured thereunder at the date of such termination whose insurance terminates, including the insured dependent of a covered person, and who has been so insured for at least five years prior to such termination date shall be entitled to have issued to him or her by the insurer an individual policy of life insurance, subject to the same conditions and limitations as are provided by subdivision (8) of this section, except that the group policy may provide that the amount of such individual policy shall not exceed the smaller of the amount of the person's life insurance protection ceasing because of the termination or amendment of the group policy, less the amount of any life insurance for which he or she is or becomes eligible under any group policy issued or reinstated by the same or another insurer within thirty-one days after such termination, and ten thousand dollars;
(10) A provision that if a person insured under the group policy or the insured dependent of a covered person dies during the period within which he or she would have been entitled to have an individual policy issued to him or her in accordance with subdivision (8) or (9) of this section and before such an individual policy shall have become effective, the amount of life insurance which he or she would have been entitled to have issued to him or her under such individual policy shall be payable as a claim under the group policy, whether or not application for the individual policy or the payment of the first premium therefor has been made;
(11) If active employment is a condition of insurance, a provision that an insured may continue coverage during the insured's total disability by timely payment to the policyholder of that portion, if any, of the premium that would have been required from the insured had total disability not occurred. The continuation shall be on a premium-paying basis for a period of six months from the date on which the total disability started, but not beyond the earlier of:
(a) Approval by the insurer of continuation of the coverage under any disability provision which the group insurance policy may contain; or
(b) The discontinuance of the group insurance policy; and
(12) In the case of a policy insuring the lives of debtors, a provision that the insurer will furnish to the policyholder for delivery to each debtor insured under the policy a certificate of insurance describing the coverage and specifying that any death benefit shall first be applied to reduce or extinguish the indebtedness.
- Laws 1949, c. 150, § 2, p. 383;
- Laws 1957, c. 192, § 7, p. 677;
- Laws 1989, LB 92, § 177;
- Laws 2008, LB855, § 16.