Nebraska Revised Statute 43-2007
Chapter 43 Section 2007
Schools; exempt school; duties.
(1) Upon notification by the patrol of a missing person, any school in which the missing person is currently or was previously enrolled shall flag the school records of such person in such school's possession. The school shall report immediately any request concerning a flagged record or any knowledge of the whereabouts of the missing person.
(2) Upon enrollment of a student for the first time in a public school district or private school system, the school of enrollment shall notify in writing the person enrolling the student that within thirty days he or she must provide either (a) a certified copy of the student's birth certificate or (b) other reliable proof of the student's identity and age accompanied by an affidavit explaining the inability to produce a copy of the birth certificate.
(3) Upon enrollment of a student who is receiving his or her education in an exempt school subject to sections 79-1601 to 79-1607, the parent or guardian of such student shall provide to the Commissioner of Education either (a) a certified copy of the student's birth certificate or (b) other reliable proof of the student's identity and age accompanied by an affidavit explaining the inability to produce a copy of the birth certificate.
(4) Upon failure of the person, parent, or guardian to comply with subsection (2) or (3) of this section, the school or Commissioner of Education shall notify such person, parent, or guardian in writing that unless he or she complies within ten days the matter shall be referred to the local law enforcement agency for investigation. If compliance is not obtained within such ten-day period, the school or commissioner shall immediately report such matter. Any affidavit received pursuant to subsection (2) or (3) of this section that appears inaccurate or suspicious in form or content shall be reported immediately to the local law enforcement agency by the school or commissioner.
(5) Any school requested to forward a copy of a transferred student's record shall not forward a copy of such record to the requesting school if the record has been flagged pursuant to subsection (1) of this section. If such record has been flagged, the school to whom such request is made shall notify the local law enforcement agency of the request and that such student is a reported missing person.
- Laws 1987, LB 599, § 7;
- Laws 1991, LB 511, § 3;
- Laws 1992, LB 245, § 9;
- Laws 1996, LB 900, § 1047;
- Laws 2009, LB549, § 2.