Nebraska Revised Statute 39-1811
Chapter 39 Section 1811
Weeds; mowing; duty of landowner; neglect of duty; obligation of county board; cost; assessment and collection.
(1) It shall be the duty of the landowners in this state to mow all weeds that can be mowed with the ordinary farm mower to the middle of all public roads and drainage ditches running along their lands at least twice each year, namely, sometime in July for the first time and sometime in September for the second time.
(2) This section shall not restrict landowners, a county, or a township from management of (a) roadside vegetation on road shoulders or of sight distances at intersections and entrances at any time of the year or (b) snow control mowing as may be necessary.
(3) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, no person employed by or under contract with a county or township to mow roadside ditches shall do such mowing before July 1 of any year.
(4) Whenever a landowner, referred to in subsections (1) and (5) of this section, neglects to mow the weeds as provided in this section, it shall be the duty of the county board on complaint of any resident of the county to cause the weeds to be mowed or otherwise destroyed on neglected portions of roads or ditches complained of.
(5) The county board shall cause to be ascertained and recorded an accurate account of the cost of mowing or destroying such weeds, as referred to in subsections (1) and (4) of this section, in such places, specifying, in such statement or account of costs, the description of the land abutting upon each side of the highway where such weeds were mowed or destroyed, and, if known, the name of the owner of such abutting land. The board shall file such statement with the county clerk, together with a description of the lands abutting on each side of the road where such expenses were incurred, and the county board, at the time of the annual tax levy made upon lands and property of the county, may, if it desires, assess such cost upon such abutting land, giving such landowner due notice of such proposed assessment and reasonable opportunity to be heard concerning the proposed assessment before the same is finally made.
- Laws 1957, c. 155, art. V, § 11, p. 555;
- Laws 2017, LB584, § 1.
- Effective Date: August 24, 2017