Nebraska Revised Statute 30-2623

Chapter 30


Removal or resignation of guardian; termination of incapacity.

(a) On petition of the ward or any person interested in his welfare, the court may remove a guardian and appoint a successor if in the best interests of the ward. On petition of the guardian, the court may accept his resignation and make any other order which may be appropriate.

(b) An order adjudicating incapacity may specify a minimum period, not exceeding one year, during which no petition for an adjudication that the ward is no longer incapacitated may be filed without special leave. Subject to this restriction, the ward or any person interested in his welfare may petition for an order that he is no longer incapacitated, and for removal or resignation of the guardian. A request for this order may be made by informal letter to the court or judge and any person who knowingly interferes with transmission of this kind of request to the court or judge may be adjudged guilty of contempt of court.

(c) Before removing a guardian, accepting the resignation of a guardian, or ordering that a ward's incapacity has terminated, the court, following the same procedures to safeguard the rights of the ward as apply to a petition for appointment of a guardian, may send a visitor to the residence of the present guardian and to the place where the ward resides or is detained, to observe conditions and report in writing to the court.


  • By using the phrase "any person interested in his welfare," the Legislature intended to allow persons who are interested in a protected person, but who do not satisfy the definition of "interested person," to bring matters affecting the welfare of protected persons to the attention of the local probate court. In re Guardianship of Gilmore, 11 Neb. App. 876, 662 N.W.2d 221 (2003).