Nebraska Revised Statute 28-642
Counterfeit airbags; terms, defined.
For purposes of the Counterfeit Airbag Prevention Act, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) Airbag means a motor vehicle inflatable occupant restraint system device that is part of a supplemental restraint system;
(2) Counterfeit supplemental restraint system component means a supplemental restraint system component that displays a mark identical or substantially similar to the genuine mark of a motor vehicle manufacturer or a supplier of parts to the manufacturer of a motor vehicle without authorization from such manufacturer or supplier;
(3) Nonfunctional airbag means an airbag that meets any of the following criteria:
(a) The airbag was previously deployed or damaged;
(b) The airbag has an electric fault that is detected by the motor vehicle's diagnostic system when the installation procedure is completed and (i) the motor vehicle is returned to the customer who requested the work to be performed or (ii) ownership is intended to be transferred;
(c) The airbag includes a part or object installed in a motor vehicle to mislead the owner or operator of the motor vehicle into believing that a functional airbag has been installed; or
(d) The airbag is subject to the prohibitions of subsection (j) of 49 U.S.C. 30120, as such section existed on January 1, 2019; and
(4) Supplemental restraint system means an inflatable restraint system as defined in 49 C.F.R. 571.208, as such regulation existed on January 1, 2019, designed for use in conjunction with an active safety system. A supplemental restraint system includes one or more airbags and all components required to ensure that an airbag works as designed by the motor vehicle manufacturer, including both of the following:
(a) The airbag operates as necessary in the event of a crash; and
(b) The airbag is designed in accordance with federal motor vehicle safety standards for the specific make, model, and year of the motor vehicle in which it is or will be installed.
- Laws 2019, LB7, § 3.
- Effective Date: September 1, 2019