Nebraska Revised Statute 28-1419
Tobacco; electronic nicotine delivery systems; alternative nicotine products; certain sales; penalty; compliance determination; assistance authorized; conditions.
(1) Whoever shall sell, give, or furnish, in any way, any tobacco in any form whatever, or any cigars, cigarettes, cigarette paper, electronic nicotine delivery systems, or alternative nicotine products, to any person under twenty-one years of age, is guilty of a Class III misdemeanor for each offense.
(2)(a) In order to further the public policy of deterring licensees or other persons from violating subsection (1) of this section, a person who is at least fifteen years of age but under twenty-one years of age may assist a peace officer in determining compliance with such subsection if:
(i) The parent or legal guardian of the person has given written consent for the person to participate in such compliance check if such person is under nineteen years of age;
(ii) The person is an employee, a volunteer, or an intern with a state or local law enforcement agency;
(iii) The person is acting within the scope of his or her assigned duties as part of a law enforcement investigation;
(iv) The person does not use or consume a tobacco product as part of such duties; and
(v) The person is not actively assigned to a diversion program, is not a party to a pending criminal proceeding or a proceeding pending under the Nebraska Juvenile Code, and is not on probation.
(b) Any person under the age of twenty-one years acting in accordance with and under the authority of this subsection shall not be in violation of section 28-1427.
- Laws 1885, c. 105, §§ 1, 2, p. 394;
- Laws 1903, c. 138, § 1, p. 643;
- R.S.1913, § 8847;
- C.S.1922, § 9848;
- C.S.1929, § 28-1022;
- R.S.1943, § 28-1021;
- Laws 1977, LB 40, § 104;
- R.R.S.1943, § 28-1021, (1975);
- Laws 2014, LB863, § 18;
- Laws 2019, LB149, § 3;
- Laws 2019, LB397, § 3;
- Laws 2020, LB1064, § 3.
- Operative Date: October 1, 2020
- Nebraska Juvenile Code, see section 43-2,129.