Nebraska Revised Statute 2-1807
Chapter 2 Section 1807
Potato shipper; annual statement; excise tax; amount; administrative fee; violations; penalty.
(1) Beginning July 1, 1997, every potato shipper shall render and have on file with the Department of Agriculture by the last day of July an annual statement under oath, on forms prescribed by the department, which shall set forth the number of pounds of potatoes grown in Nebraska which were sold or shipped by him or her during the preceding fiscal year beginning on July 1 and ending on June 30. For every potato shipper who was required to file an annual statement for calendar year 1996, a short period statement covering January 1, 1997, through June 30, 1997, shall be filed and the excise taxes paid by July 31, 1997, as required by this section. For every potato shipper who was required to file a quarterly statement for the period of January 1, 1997, through March 31, 1997, a final quarterly statement covering April 1, 1997, through June 30, 1997, shall be filed and the excise taxes paid by July 31, 1997, as required by this section. At the time the sworn statement is filed and in connection therewith, each such potato shipper shall pay and remit to the department an excise tax of not to exceed two cents per one hundred pounds upon the potatoes shown in such statement to have been sold, which tax is hereby levied and imposed. The tax shall be set in the manner prescribed in subsection (3) of this section. The department shall transmit to the State Treasurer all money, checks, drafts, or other mediums of exchange thus received. The department shall have authority to adjust all errors in making payment. Any such potato shipper who shall neglect or refuse to file such statement, or to pay the tax herein imposed, within the time prescribed, shall be guilty of a Class IV misdemeanor. No potatoes shall be subject to tax more than once under the Nebraska Potato Development Act.
(2) All excise taxes imposed by this section are delinquent on August 1 of the year due. The department shall impose an additional administrative fee of five percent per month of the excise taxes for each month or portion thereof such taxes are delinquent not to exceed one hundred percent of such taxes. The purpose of the additional administrative fee is to cover the administrative costs associated with collecting the excise taxes. All money collected as an additional administrative fee shall be remitted to the State Treasurer for credit to the Nebraska Potato Development Fund.
(3) The department shall, upon the recommendation of the committee, have the power to set the excise tax prescribed in subsection (1) of this section. The tax shall be one cent per one hundred pounds from July 19, 1980, until adjusted by the department. Adjusted rates shall be effective for periods of not less than one year. The applicable rate of the excise tax shall be prescribed in rules and regulations adopted by the department in the manner prescribed by law.
- Laws 1945, c. 4, § 7, p. 72;
- Laws 1947, c. 4, § 3, p. 61;
- Laws 1951, c. 9, § 2, p. 80;
- Laws 1963, c. 12, § 1, p. 90;
- Laws 1969, c. 20, § 2, p. 186;
- Laws 1977, LB 40, § 17;
- Laws 1980, LB 833, § 1;
- Laws 1997, LB 202, § 1;
- Laws 2016, LB909, § 1.