Nebraska Revised Statute 18-2722
Chapter 18 Section 2722
Continuation of program; election; procedure.
(1) The registered voters of any city that has established an economic development program shall, at any time after one year following the original vote on the program, have the right to vote on the continuation of the economic development program. The question shall be submitted to the voters whenever petitions calling for its submission, signed by registered voters of the city in number equal to at least twenty percent of the number of persons voting in the city at the last preceding general election, are presented to the governing body of the city.
(2) Upon the receipt of the petitions, the governing body of the city shall submit the question at a special election to be held not less than thirty days nor more than forty-five days after receipt of the petitions, except that if any other election is to be held in such city within ninety days of the receipt of the petitions, the governing body may provide for holding the election on the same date.
(3) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (2) of this section, if two-thirds of the members of the governing body of the city vote to repeal the ordinance establishing the economic development program within fifteen days of the receipt of the petitions for an election, the economic development program shall end and the election shall not be held.
(4) The governing body shall give notice of the submission of the question of whether to continue the economic development program not more than twenty days nor less than ten days prior to the election by publication one time in one or more newspapers published in or having a general circulation in the city in which the question is to be submitted. Such notice shall be in addition to any other notice required by the election laws of the state.
(5) The question on the ballot shall generally set out the basic terms and provisions of the economic development program as required for the initial submission, except that the question shall be: "Shall the city of (name of the city) continue its economic development program?".
(6) A majority of the registered voters voting on the question at the election shall determine the question. The final vote shall be binding on the city, and the governing body of the city shall act within sixty days of the certification of the vote by the county clerk or the election commissioner to repeal the ordinance establishing the economic development program if a majority of the voters voting on the question vote to discontinue the program.
(7) The repeal of the ordinance and the discontinuation of the economic development program shall be subject only to the provisions of any contracts related to the economic development program and the rights of any third parties arising from those contracts existing on the date of the election. Any funds collected by the city under the economic development program and unexpended for that program on the date of its repeal and any funds received by the city on account of the operation of the economic development program thereafter shall be deposited in the general fund of the city.
- Laws 1991, LB 840, § 23.