Nebraska Revised Statute 17-967
Bonds; city of the second class or village; municipal library; issuance; interest; conditions; limitations; tax levy.
Any city of the second class or village is hereby authorized to issue bonds in aid of improving municipal libraries of cities of the second class and villages in an amount not exceeding seven-tenths of one percent of the taxable valuation of all the taxable property, as shown by the last assessment, within such city of the second class or village in the manner directed in this section:
(1) A petition signed by not less than fifty property owners of the city of the second class or village shall be presented to the city council or village board of trustees. Such petition shall set forth the nature of the work contemplated, the amount of bonds sought to be voted, the rate of interest, and the length of time such bonds run, which in no event shall be less than five years nor more than twenty years from the date of such petition. The petitioners shall give bond to be approved by the city council or village board of trustees for the payment of the expenses of the election in the event that the proposition fails to receive a majority of the votes cast at such election; and
(2) Upon the receipt of such petition, the city council or village board of trustees shall give notice and call an election in the city of the second class or village. Such notice, call, and election shall be governed by the Election Act. When a proposition is submitted for the issuance of bonds for the acquisition of a site or the construction of a single building for the purpose of housing the municipal public library in cities of the second class or villages, it shall be required as a condition precedent to the issuance of such bonds that a majority of the votes cast shall be in favor of such proposition. Bonds in such city or village shall not be issued for such purpose in the aggregate to exceed one and four-tenths percent of the taxable valuation of all the taxable property in such a city or village as shown by the last assessment within such city or village.
- Laws 1967, c. 33, § 3, p. 154;
- Laws 1969, c. 51, § 60, p. 310;
- Laws 1971, LB 534, § 21;
- Laws 1979, LB 187, § 66;
- Laws 1992, LB 719A, § 66;
- Laws 2017, LB133, § 298.
- Election Act, see section 32-101.