Nebraska Revised Statute 17-515
Streets and malls; improvement; assessments; interest; when delinquent; payment in installments.
(1) All assessments as provided in sections 17-509 to 17-512, except for paving, repaving, construction of malls and plazas, and the landscaping and permanent facilities of such malls and plazas, graveling, or curbing and guttering, shall draw interest until such assessments become delinquent, at a rate set by the city council or village board of trustees from the date of levy, and shall become delinquent on the first day of May subsequent to the date of levy, and shall thereafter draw interest at a rate not exceeding the rate of interest specified in section 45-104.01, as such rate may from time to time be adjusted by the Legislature.
(2) Such assessments for paving, repaving, construction of malls and plazas, and the landscaping and permanent facilities of such malls and plazas, or curbing and guttering shall become delinquent in equal annual installments over such period of years, not to exceed fifteen, as the city council or village board of trustees may determine at the time of making the levy, the first such equal installment to become delinquent in fifty days after the date of such levy.
(3) As to such assessments for graveling, one-third of the total amount assessed against each lot or parcel of land shall become delinquent in fifty days after the date of such levy; one-third in one year; and one-third in two years.
(4) Each of the installments, referred to in subsections (2) and (3) of this section, except the first, shall draw interest at a rate set by the city council or village board of trustees, from the time of the levy until such installment shall become delinquent; and after such installment becomes delinquent, interest at the rate specified in section 45-104.01, as such rate may from time to time be adjusted by the Legislature, shall be paid thereon. Should there be three or more of such installments delinquent and unpaid on the same property, the city council or village board of trustees may by resolution declare all future installments on such delinquent property to be due on a fixed future date. All of such installments may be paid at one time on any lot or land within fifty days from the date of the levy without interest and, if so paid, such lot or land shall be exempt from any lien or charge for the levy.
- Laws 1909, c. 22, § 1, p. 192;
- Laws 1911, c. 21, § 1, p. 139;
- R.S.1913, § 5110;
- Laws 1915, c. 92, § 1, p. 233;
- Laws 1917, c. 102, § 1, p. 268;
- Laws 1919, c. 50, § 1, p. 145;
- C.S. 1922, § 4283;
- Laws 1923, c. 135, § 1, p. 331;
- Laws 1927, c. 42, § 1, p. 178;
- C.S.1929, § 17-432;
- Laws 1933, c. 136, § 20, p. 531;
- C.S.Supp.,1941, § 17-432;
- R.S.1943, § 17-515;
- Laws 1953, c. 34, § 1, p. 124;
- Laws 1959, c. 64, § 3, p. 287;
- Laws 1965, c. 65, § 1, p. 283;
- Laws 1969, c. 92, § 2, p. 457;
- Laws 1969, c. 51, § 43, p. 298;
- Laws 1976, LB 441, § 2;
- Laws 1980, LB 933, § 18;
- Laws 1981, LB 167, § 19;
- Laws 2017, LB133, § 133.
A taxpayer has the option to pay the installments with interest as they become due or may pay balance thereon with interest before due. State ex rel. Todd v. Thomas, 127 Neb. 891, 257 N.W. 265 (1934).