Nebraska Revised Statute 15-263
General welfare; ordinances to insure; powers; enforcement; penalties; imposition.
(1) A city of the primary class may make all such ordinances, bylaws, rules, and regulations not inconsistent with the general laws of the state as may be necessary or expedient, in addition to the special powers otherwise granted by law, (a) for maintaining the peace, good government, and welfare of the city, and its trade, commerce, and manufactories, (b) for preserving order and securing persons or property from violence, danger, and destruction, (c) for protecting public and private property, and (d) for promoting the public health, safety, convenience, comfort, morals, and general interests and welfare of the inhabitants of the city.
(2) A city of the primary class may enforce all such ordinances by providing for imprisonment of those convicted of violations and may impose forfeitures, fines, and penalties not exceeding five hundred dollars for any one offense, recoverable with costs, and, in the default of the payment thereof, provide for confinement in the city or county jail until the judgment and costs are paid.
- Laws 1901, c. 16, § 129, LXIII, p. 143;
- R.S.1913, § 4473;
- C.S.1922, § 3858;
- C.S.1929, § 15-261;
- R.S.1943, § 15-263;
- Laws 1955, c. 27, § 1, p. 122;
- Laws 1965, c. 44, § 2, p. 243;
- Laws 2020, LB1003, § 73.
- Operative Date: November 14, 2020