Nebraska Revised Statute 13-2103
Designation; application; requirements; limitation; term.
(1)(a) Beginning on December 1, 2014, the department shall, for a period of one hundred eighty days, accept formal applications for the designation of enterprise zones. Within sixty days after the end of such application period, the department may designate not more than five areas as enterprise zones based on eligible applications it has received.
(b) If the department has received fewer than five applications for the designation of enterprise zones after the end of the application period described in subdivision (1)(a) of this section, the department may establish a period of time within which to accept additional applications. Within sixty days after the end of such extended application period, the department may designate additional areas as enterprise zones based on additional eligible applications received, but not more than a total of five areas may be designated as enterprise zones pursuant to this section.
(c) In the application period, the department may reject from consideration any application which does not fully and completely comport with the provisions of section 13-2104 at the end of the designated application period. In choosing among eligible applications for enterprise zone designation, the department shall consider the levels of distress existing within the applicant areas and the contents of the applicant's formal enterprise zone application.
(d) Each area designated as an enterprise zone shall meet all eligibility criteria. Of the enterprise zones authorized, no more than one shall be located inside the boundaries of a city of the metropolitan class and no more than one inside a city of the primary class.
(2) Any city, village, tribal government area, or county may apply for designation of an area within such city, village, tribal government area, or county as an enterprise zone, except that if a county seeks to have an area within an incorporated city or village or a tribal government area designated as an enterprise zone, the consent of the governing body of such city, village, or tribal government area shall first be required.
(3) If an incorporated city or village or a tribal government area consents, a county may apply on behalf of the city, village, or tribal government area for certification of an area within such city, village, or tribal government area as an enterprise zone. Both a county and a city, village, or tribal government area shall not apply for certification of the same area.
(4) Two or more counties or tribal government areas may jointly apply for designation of an area as an enterprise zone which is located on both sides of their common boundaries.
(5) Political subdivisions wishing to file an application for designation of an enterprise zone shall first follow the procedures set out in sections 13-2106 to 13-2108. An application for designation as an enterprise zone shall be in a form and contain information prescribed by the department pursuant to section 13-2104.
(6) An area designated as an enterprise zone shall retain such designation for a period of ten years from the date of such designation.
(7) All enterprise zones designated as such within a single county shall not exceed a total of sixteen square miles in area.