Nebraska Revised Statute 13-2024
County or municipality; service agreement with agency; authorized provisions; special tax authorized.
Notwithstanding any other provision of Nebraska law, any county or municipality may enter into a service agreement with an agency which owns and operates or proposes to own and operate any solid waste management facility or system for obtaining solid waste management services from such agency. Any such service agreement may provide for the following:
(1) The payment of fixed or variable periodic amounts for service or the right to obtain service;
(2) That such service agreement may extend for a term of years as determined by the governing body of the county or municipality and be binding upon such county or municipality over such term of years;
(3) That variable or fixed amounts payable under such contracts may be determined based upon one or more of the following factors:
(a) Operating and maintenance expenses of the agency, including contract renewal and replacement for plant and equipment;
(b) Amounts payable by the agency with respect to debt service on its bonds or other obligations, including margins of coverage if deemed appropriate; and
(c) Amounts necessary for the agency to build or maintain operating reserves, capital reserves, and debt service reserves;
(4) That any such service agreement may require payment to be made in the agreed fixed or variable amounts irrespective of whether such facility or system is completed or operational and notwithstanding any suspension, interruption, interference, reduction, or curtailment of the services of such facility or system; and
(5) Such other provisions as the agency and county or municipality deem appropriate in connection with providing and obtaining solid waste management services.
In order to provide for the payments due under any such service agreement, any county or municipality may pledge the revenue received from any and all rates and charges received or to be received from provision of solid waste management services or from contracts with any other persons or entities, private or public, and may further provide, if determined appropriate by the governing body, that any deficiency in such revenue may be made up from a special tax levied for such purpose upon all taxable property within such county or municipality, which special tax shall for all purposes of Nebraska law, including limitations upon budget, revenue, and expenditures of public funds, have the same status as a tax levied for the purpose of paying the bonded indebtedness of such county or municipality.
- Laws 1992, LB 1257, § 24.