Nebraska State Constitution Article XV-18
Governmental powers and functions; intergovernmental cooperation; Legislature may limit; merger or consolidation of counties or other local governments authorized.
(1) The state or any local government may exercise any of its powers or perform any of its functions, including financing the same, jointly or in cooperation with any other governmental entity or entities, either within or without the state, except as the Legislature shall provide otherwise by law.
(2) The Legislature may provide for the merger or consolidation of counties or other local governments. No merger or consolidation of municipalities or counties shall occur without the approval of a majority of the people voting in each municipality or county to be merged or consolidated as provided by law. If the proposal is a merger or consolidation of one or more municipalities with one or more counties, the vote shall be tabulated in each municipality in the county or counties separately from the areas of the county or counties outside the boundaries of the municipalities. If the merger or consolidation is not approved by a majority of voters voting in the election in a municipality proposed to be merged or consolidated or the areas of the county or counties outside the boundaries of such municipality or municipalities, the proposed merger or consolidation shall be deemed rejected. Any merger or consolidation of local governments may be initiated by petition as provided by law. Annexation shall not be considered a merger or consolidation for purposes of this section. If the Legislature provides for the merger or consolidation of one or more municipalities with one or more counties, the Legislature shall provide for the reversal of the merger or consolidation. No such reversal shall occur without voter approval. The vote shall be tabulated in each municipality which is proposed to be created by the reversal separately from the areas outside the boundaries of the proposed municipalities. If the reversal is not approved by a majority of voters voting in the election in the area within the boundaries of any proposed municipality or the areas outside the proposed municipalities, the reversal shall be deemed rejected.
- Neb. Const. art. XV, sec. 18 (1972);
- Adopted 1972, Laws 1971, LB 604, sec. 1;
- Amended 1998, Laws 1998, LR 45CA, sec. 2.