Nebraska State Constitution Article III-12
- Nebraska State Constitution
Legislators; terms; limitation.
(1) No person shall be eligible to serve as a member of the Legislature for four years next after the expiration of two consecutive terms regardless of the district represented.
(2) Service prior to January 1, 2001, as a member of the Legislature shall not be counted for the purpose of calculating consecutive terms in subsection (1) of this section.
(3) For the purpose of this section, service in office for more than one-half of a term shall be deemed service for a term.
- Neb. Const. art. III, sec. 12 (2000);
- Adopted 2000, Initiative Measure No. 415.
Subsection (3) of this provision operates only to determine whether an expired legislative term will count as a full term toward disqualification to seek a third consecutive term. State ex rel. Johnson v. Gale, 273 Neb. 889, 734 N.W.2d 290 (2007).