Nebraska Revised Statute 72-813

Chapter 72 Section 813


Vacant buildings and excess land; list; compilation; committee; review status; disposition; considerations.

(1) Each state agency shall by September 15 of each year submit to the State Building Administrator a list of all state-owned buildings and land for which it is responsible and shall note the current and planned uses of each building and parcel of land. The State Building Administrator shall compile the information on state-owned buildings and land and provide it, along with any other information or recommendations he or she may consider relevant to the purposes of sections 72-811 to 72-818, to the Vacant Building and Excess Land Committee and to the Legislative Fiscal Analyst. The information provided to the Legislative Fiscal Analyst shall be submitted electronically.

(2) The committee shall meet to review the information and consider further action or possible amendments to orders made pursuant to this section. If the committee determines that there is reason to believe that any particular state-owned building or piece of land is vacant or excess, the committee shall review the status of the building or land and by majority vote determine whether it should be declared vacant or excess.

(3) If the committee declares a building or land to be vacant or excess, it shall order either maintenance of the building or land by the state building division of the Department of Administrative Services or the disposal of the building or land through sale, lease, demolition, or otherwise. Any order for disposal of a building may include related lands. In determining the appropriate action to be taken in regard to a building or land, the committee shall consider the benefits to the state of the alternative possible actions, including cost-effectiveness, other possible future uses of the building or land for state purposes, and the necessity or utility of the building or land for the furtherance of existing or planned state programs.


  • Laws 1988, LB 1143, § 3;
  • Laws 1990, LB 830, § 3;
  • Laws 1992, LB 1241, § 8;
  • Laws 1995, LB 567, § 4;
  • Laws 2012, LB782, § 130.