Nebraska Revised Statute 25-2501
Chapter 25 Section 2501
Intent and purpose.
It is the intent and purpose of sections 25-2501 to 25-2506 to establish a uniform procedure to be used in acquiring private property for a public purpose by the State of Nebraska and its political subdivisions and by all privately owned public utility corporations and common carriers which have been granted the power of eminent domain. Such sections shall not apply to:
(1) Water transmission and distribution pipelines and their appurtenances and common carrier pipelines and their appurtenances;
(2) Public utilities and cities of all classes and villages when acquiring property for a proposed project involving the acquisition of rights or interests in ten or fewer separately owned tracts or when the acquisition is within the corporate limits of any city or village;
(3) Sanitary and improvement districts organized under sections 31-727 to 31-762 when acquiring easements for a proposed project involving the acquisition of rights or interests in ten or fewer separately owned tracts;
(4) Counties and municipalities which acquire property through the process of platting or subdivision or for street or highway construction or improvements;
(5) Common carriers subject to regulation by the Federal Railroad Administration of the United States Department of Transportation; or
(6) The Nebraska Department of Transportation when acquiring property for highway construction or improvements.
The purpose of the hearing provided for in the uniform procedure for acquiring property for public use is merely to explain the taking and to inform landowners of their procedural rights. Seward County Board of Commissioners v. City of Seward, 196 Neb. 266, 242 N.W.2d 849 (1976).