Nebraska Revised Statute 77-4212
Chapter 77 Section 4212
Property tax credit; county treasurer; duties; disbursement to counties; State Treasurer; duties.
(1) For tax year 2007, the amount of relief granted under the Property Tax Credit Act shall be one hundred five million dollars. For tax year 2008, the amount of relief granted under the act shall be one hundred fifteen million dollars. It is the intent of the Legislature to fund the Property Tax Credit Act for tax years after tax year 2008 using available revenue. The relief shall be in the form of a property tax credit which appears on the property tax statement.
(2) To determine the amount of the property tax credit, the county treasurer shall multiply the amount disbursed to the county under subsection (4) of this section by the ratio of the real property valuation of the parcel to the total real property valuation in the county. The amount determined shall be the property tax credit for the property.
(3) If the real property owner qualifies for a homestead exemption under sections 77-3501 to 77-3529, the owner shall also be qualified for the relief provided in the act to the extent of any remaining liability after calculation of the relief provided by the homestead exemption. If the credit results in a property tax liability on the homestead that is less than zero, the amount of the credit which cannot be used by the taxpayer shall be returned to the State Treasurer by July 1 of the year the amount disbursed to the county was disbursed. The State Treasurer shall immediately credit any funds returned under this section to the Property Tax Credit Cash Fund.
(4) The amount disbursed to each county shall be equal to the amount available for disbursement determined under subsection (1) of this section multiplied by the ratio of the real property valuation in the county to the real property valuation in the state. By September 15, the Property Tax Administrator shall determine the amount to be disbursed under this subsection to each county and certify such amounts to the State Treasurer and to each county. The disbursements to the counties shall occur in two equal payments, the first on or before January 31 and the second on or before April 1. After retaining one percent of the receipts for costs, the county treasurer shall allocate the remaining receipts to each taxing unit levying taxes on taxable property in the tax district in which the real property is located in the same proportion that the levy of such taxing unit bears to the total levy on taxable property of all the taxing units in the tax district in which the real property is located.
(5) The State Treasurer shall transfer from the General Fund to the Property Tax Credit Cash Fund one hundred five million dollars by August 1, 2007, and one hundred fifteen million dollars by August 1, 2008.
(6) The Legislature shall have the power to transfer funds from the Property Tax Credit Cash Fund to the General Fund.