Nebraska Revised Statute 60-488
Chapter 60 Section 488
Nonresidents; license requirements; immunity.
(1) A nonresident shall not be prevented from operating a motor vehicle upon the highways of this state during the period within which he or she may lawfully operate such motor vehicle in the state under the general motor vehicle laws of this state, but in no event shall such immunity extend beyond a period of thirty days continuous residence in the State of Nebraska.
(2) Subsection (1) of this section shall be subject to the following limitations:
(a) Such nonresident shall be duly licensed under the motor vehicle laws of the state of his or her residence or have complied with the laws of the state of his or her residence relating to the registration or licensing of motor vehicles and conformed to the laws of such state of residence in relation to the operators of motor vehicles;
(b) A nonresident who is serving in this state on active duty as a member of the United States Armed Forces, or the spouse of any such person or a dependent of such member of the armed forces, shall be exempt from the licensing requirements of this state if he or she is duly licensed under the laws of the state of his or her residence;
(c) A nonresident who is considered to be a full-time student in any institution of postsecondary education in this state shall be exempt from the licensing requirements of this state if such person is duly licensed under the laws of the state of his or her residence; and
(d) A nonresident certified by the Department of Labor as engaged in temporary agricultural employment in Nebraska for a period of not to exceed sixty days may be granted an additional thirty days' immunity if a similar immunity is granted by the state of his or her permanent residence to residents of Nebraska while temporarily employed in agricultural employment in such state.
- Laws 1929, c. 148, § 11, p. 517;
- C.S.1929, § 60-411;
- R.S.1943, § 60-410;
- Laws 1965, c. 383, § 2, p. 1236;
- Laws 1969, c. 505, § 1, p. 2080;
- Laws 1976, LB 846, § 1;
- R.S.1943, (1988), § 60-410;
- Laws 1989, LB 285, § 39;
- Laws 1996, LB 974, § 1;
- Laws 1999, LB 3, § 3.
Nonresident can only operate a motor vehicle in this state in accordance with its laws. State v. Smith, 181 Neb. 846, 152 N.W.2d 16 (1967).