Nebraska Revised Statute 44-2403
Chapter 44 Section 2403
As used in the Nebraska Property and Liability Insurance Guaranty Association Act, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) Account shall mean any one of the three accounts created by section 44-2404;
(2) Director shall mean the Director of Insurance or his or her duly authorized representative;
(3) Association shall mean the Nebraska Property and Liability Insurance Guaranty Association created by section 44-2404;
(4)(a) Covered claim shall mean an unpaid claim which has been timely filed with the liquidator as provided for in the Nebraska Insurers Supervision, Rehabilitation, and Liquidation Act and which arises out of and is within the coverage of an insurance policy to which the Nebraska Property and Liability Insurance Guaranty Association Act applies issued by a member insurer that becomes insolvent after May 26, 1971, and (i) the claimant or insured is a resident of this state at the time of the insured event or (ii) the property from which the claim arises is permanently located in this state. Covered claim shall also include the policyholder's unearned premiums paid by the policyholder on an insurance policy to which the act applies issued by a member insurer that becomes insolvent on or after July 9, 1988. Nothing in this section shall be construed to supersede, abrogate, or limit the common-law ownership of accounts receivable for earned premium, unearned premium, or unearned commission;
(b) Covered claim shall not include any amount due any reinsurer, insurer, liquidator, insurance pool, or underwriting association, as subrogation recoveries or otherwise, a policy deductible or self-insured portion of the claim, a claim for any premium calculated on a retrospective basis, any premiums subject to adjustment after the date of liquidation, or any amount due an attorney or adjuster as fees for services rendered to the insolvent insurer. Subdivision (4)(b) of this section shall not prevent a person from presenting the excluded claim to the insolvent insurer or its liquidator, but the claim shall not be asserted against any other person, including the person to whom benefits were paid or the insured of the insolvent insurer, except to the extent that the claim is outside the coverage or is in excess of the limits of the policy issued by the insolvent insurer;
(5) Insolvent insurer shall mean a member insurer licensed to transact the business of insurance in this state, either at the time the policy was issued or when the insured event occurred, and against whom a final order of liquidation, with a finding of insolvency, has been entered by a court of competent jurisdiction in the company's state of domicile after September 2, 1977;
(6) Member insurer shall mean any person licensed to write any kind of insurance to which the Nebraska Property and Liability Insurance Guaranty Association Act applies by the provisions of section 44-2402, including the exchange of reciprocal or interinsurance contracts, that is licensed to transact insurance in this state, except assessment associations operating under Chapter 44, article 8, and also excepting unincorporated mutuals;
(7) Net direct written premiums shall mean direct gross premiums written in this state on insurance policies to which the Nebraska Property and Liability Insurance Guaranty Association Act applies, less return premiums thereon and dividends paid or credited to policyholders on such direct business. Net direct written premiums shall not include premiums on contracts between insurers or reinsurers;
(8) Person shall mean any individual, corporation, partnership, limited liability company, association, voluntary organization, or reciprocal insurance exchange; and
(9) Insurance shall mean those contracts defined in section 44-102.
- Laws 1971, LB 722, § 3;
- Laws 1974, LB 1014, § 1;
- Laws 1977, LB 366, § 5;
- Laws 1988, LB 700, § 1;
- Laws 1989, LB 319, § 71;
- Laws 1993, LB 121, § 239.
- Nebraska Insurers Supervision, Rehabilitation, and Liquidation Act, see section 44-4862.
A claim need not be a "covered claim" as defined in subsection (4)(a) of this section to be barred by subsection (4)(b) of this section. Alsobrook v. Jim Earp Chrysler-Plymouth, 274 Neb. 374, 740 N.W.2d 785 (2007).