Nebraska Revised Statute 44-1082
Chapter 44 Section 1082
Amendments to laws of society; procedure.
(1) A domestic society may amend its laws in accordance with the provisions thereof by action of its supreme governing body at any regular or special meeting thereof or, if its laws so provide, by referendum. Such referendum may be held in accordance with the provisions of its laws by the vote of the voting members of the society, by the vote of delegates or representatives of voting members, or by the vote of local lodges. A society may provide for voting by mail. No amendment submitted for adoption by referendum shall be adopted unless, within six months from the date of submission thereof, a majority of the members voting shall have signified their consent to such amendment by one of the methods specified in this subsection.
(2) No amendment to the laws of any domestic society shall take effect unless approved by the Director of Insurance who shall approve such amendment if he or she finds that it has been duly adopted and is not inconsistent with any requirement of the laws of this state or with the character, objects, and purposes of the society. Unless the director shall disapprove any such amendment within sixty days after the filing of same, such amendment shall be considered approved. The approval or disapproval of the director shall be in writing and mailed to the secretary or corresponding officer of the society at its principal office. In case the director disapproves such amendment, the reasons for such disapproval shall be stated in such written notice.
(3) Within ninety days from the approval by the Director of Insurance, all such amendments, or a synopsis thereof, shall be furnished to all members of the society either by mail or by publication in full in the official publication of the society. The affidavit of any officer of the society or of anyone authorized by it to mail any amendments, or a synopsis thereof, stating facts which show that such amendments or synopsis has been duly addressed and mailed, shall be prima facie evidence that such amendments or synopsis has been furnished the addressee.
(4) Every foreign or alien society authorized to do business in this state shall file with the Director of Insurance a duly certified copy of all amendments of, or additions to, its laws within ninety days after the enactment of the same.
(5) Printed copies of the laws as amended, certified by the secretary or corresponding officer of the society, shall be prima facie evidence of the legal adoption thereof.
- Laws 1985, LB 508, § 11.