Nebraska Revised Statute 24-704
Chapter 24 Section 704
Administration of system; Public Employees Retirement Board, Auditor of Public Accounts, and Nebraska Investment Council; duties; employer education program.
(1) The general administration of the retirement system for judges provided for in the Judges Retirement Act, except the investment of funds, is hereby vested in the board. The Auditor of Public Accounts shall make an annual audit of the retirement system and electronically file an annual report of its condition with the Clerk of the Legislature. Each member of the Legislature shall receive an electronic copy of the annual report by making a request for such report to the Auditor of Public Accounts. The board shall adopt and promulgate rules and regulations as may be necessary to carry out the Judges Retirement Act.
(2)(a) The board shall employ a director and such assistants and employees as may be necessary to efficiently discharge the duties imposed by the act. The director shall keep a record of all acts and proceedings taken by the board.
(b) The director shall keep a complete record of all members with respect to name, current address, age, contributions, length of service, compensation, and any other facts as may be necessary in the administration of the act. The information in the records shall be provided by the State Court Administrator in an accurate and verifiable form, as specified by the director. The director shall, from time to time, carry out testing procedures pursuant to section 84-1512 to verify the accuracy of such information. For the purpose of obtaining such facts and information, the director shall have access to the records of the various state departments and agencies and the holder of the records shall comply with a request by the director for access by providing such facts and information to the director in a timely manner. A certified copy of a birth certificate or delayed birth certificate shall be prima facie evidence of the age of the person named in the certificate.
(c) The director shall develop and implement an employer education program using principles generally accepted by public employee retirement systems so that all employers have the knowledge and information necessary to prepare and file reports as the board requires.
(3) Information necessary to determine membership in the retirement system shall be provided by the State Court Administrator.
(4) Any funds of the retirement system available for investment shall be invested by the Nebraska Investment Council pursuant to the Nebraska Capital Expansion Act and the Nebraska State Funds Investment Act. Payment for investment services by the council shall be charged directly against the gross investment returns of the funds. Charges so incurred shall not be a part of the board's annual budget request. The amounts of payment for such services, as of December 31 of each year, shall be reported not later than March 31 of the following year to the council, the board, and the Nebraska Retirement Systems Committee of the Legislature. The report submitted to the committee shall be submitted electronically. The state investment officer shall sell any such securities upon request from the director so as to provide money for the payment of benefits or annuities.
- Laws 1955, c. 83, § 4, p. 246;
- Laws 1971, LB 987, § 6;
- Laws 1979, LB 322, § 6;
- Laws 1986, LB 311, § 10;
- Laws 1991, LB 549, § 17;
- Laws 1994, LB 833, § 15;
- Laws 1994, LB 1066, § 18;
- Laws 1995, LB 369, § 4;
- Laws 1996, LB 847, § 13;
- Laws 2000, LB 1192, § 5;
- Laws 2005, LB 503, § 4;
- Laws 2012, LB782, § 24.