Nebraska Revised Statute 14-514
Chapter 14 Section 514
Taxation; annual certification for levy; bonds; limits.
(1) The city council shall annually certify to the county clerk of the county in which the city is located, by resolution, the tax upon the taxable value of all the taxable property in such city, not to exceed fifty cents on each one hundred dollars, which the city desires to be levied as taxation for all municipal purposes for the ensuing year, subject to the levy limitations contained in section 77-3442.
(2) In addition to the tax set forth in subsection (1) of this section, the council shall also and further certify not less than fourteen cents on each one hundred dollars and such tax as may be necessary to pay bond issues maturing within the year or bond issues maturing in the near future, the object of this requirement being to create a fund to accomplish a partial retirement of the bonded obligations of the city in such a manner as to avoid unusual and heavy levies during particular years when large maturities occur.
(3) The proceeds derived from each respective levy provided for in subsections (1) and (2) of this section shall be devoted exclusively and entirely to the purposes for which the levy is made. The certification provided for under such subsections shall be made before the county board of equalization has made its tax levy for each respective year.
- Laws 1921, c. 116, art. IV, § 13, p. 474;
- C.S.1922, § 3637;
- C.S.1929, § 14-514;
- Laws 1937, c. 176, § 1, p. 692;
- Laws 1939, c. 8, § 1, p. 72;
- C.S.Supp.,1941, § 14-514;
- R.S.1943, § 14-514;
- Laws 1949, c. 18, § 1, p. 85;
- Laws 1953, c. 287, § 3, p. 929;
- Laws 1955, c. 23, § 1, p. 114;
- Laws 1979, LB 187, § 32;
- Laws 1992, LB 719A, § 37;
- Laws 1999, LB 141, § 2.
- For levy of health district, see section 71-1611.
It is the duty of county board of equalization to make the levy certified by city council of city of metropolitan class. State ex rel. City of Omaha v. Lynch, 181 Neb. 810, 151 N.W.2d 278 (1967).
Certification of levy of city of metropolitan class is made to county clerk of county in which the city is located. Barton v. City of Omaha, 180 Neb. 752, 145 N.W.2d 444 (1966).
Levy in excess of limitation herein is authorized to pay judgment recovered against municipal corporation. Benner v. County Board of Douglas County, 121 Neb. 773, 238 N.W. 735 (1931).
City council is required to certify annually to the county clerk the amount of general tax required for the ensuing year. Parry Mfg. Co. v. Fink, 93 Neb. 137, 139 N.W. 863 (1913).
A purchaser of municipal bonds must take notice of recitals therein, and is bound by them. Wilbur v. Wyatt, 63 Neb. 261, 88 N.W. 499 (1901).
Proceeds of sale of bonds issued for a particular purpose must be strictly applied to that purpose. Tukey v. City of Omaha, 54 Neb. 370, 74 N.W. 613 (1898).
Under this section, taxes accrued for income tax purposes the year they became a lien, rather than the year the taxes were levied and assessed. Helvering v. Schimmel, 114 F.2d 554 (8th Cir. 1940).