Nebraska Revised Statute 85-9,133
The Legislature hereby finds and declares that:
(1) Various federal and state student financial aid programs were created by federal and state law to aid financially needy students, not colleges and universities, and are not intended to discriminate on the basis of participation by a student in an intercollegiate athletic program or sport;
(2) Eligibility to receive aid under such programs is based on demonstrated need, and no student meeting such criteria should be deprived of such aid by a college or university solely on the basis of participation by such student in an intercollegiate athletic program or sport;
(3) No college or university, solely on the basis of participation in an intercollegiate athletic program or sport or as a condition to such participation, should compel a student to forego any financial aid to which he or she is entitled;
(4) No person should be denied or compelled to relinquish any benefit created by federal or state law as a condition to participation in an activity that is an integral part of the operation, occupation, or business of a college or university as an educational institution; and
(5) The Legislature has the obligation to enact laws that prohibit unjust discrimination of every variety and form and to provide redress for victims of such discrimination.
- Laws 1991, LB 69, § 1.