(1) There is hereby created the Advisory Committee on Developmental Disabilities. The advisory committee shall consist of a representative of a statewide advocacy organization for persons with developmental disabilities and their families, a representative of Nebraska's designated protection and advocacy organization, a representative of the Nebraska Planning Council on Developmental Disabilities, a representative of the University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disability Education, Research and Service as defined in section 68-1114, and not more than fifteen additional members. At least fifty-one percent of the members shall be persons with developmental disabilities and family members of persons with developmental disabilities.
(2) The members shall be appointed by the Governor for staggered terms of three years. Any vacancy shall be filled by the Governor for the remainder of the term. One of the members shall be designated as chairperson by the Governor. Members shall be reimbursed for their actual and necessary expenses as provided in sections 81-1174 to 81-1177.
(3) The advisory committee shall advise the department regarding all aspects of the funding and delivery of services to persons with developmental disabilities.
(4) The advisory committee shall (a) provide sufficient oversight to ensure that persons placed in the custody of the department under the Developmental Disabilities Court-Ordered Custody Act are receiving the least restrictive treatment and services necessary and (b) oversee the design and implementation of the quality management and improvement plan described in section 83-1216.01.
(5) The department shall inform the advisory committee of proposed systemic changes to services for persons with developmental disabilities at least thirty days prior to implementation of the changes so that the advisory committee may provide for a response to the proposed changes. If the director determines that circumstances require implementation of the changes prior to such notice, the department shall inform the advisory committee as soon as possible. The advisory committee, in partnership with the director, shall establish criteria for the process of providing the information and receiving the response.