There is hereby created within the Department of Administrative Services the Division of Employee Relations to be headed by the Chief Negotiator who shall be appointed by, serve at the pleasure of, and represent the Governor. The Director of Administrative Services may serve as the Chief Negotiator. The division shall be responsible for negotiating and administering all labor contracts entered into by the State of Nebraska, except that the division shall not be responsible for contracts entered into by constitutional offices, the Board of Trustees of the Nebraska State Colleges, and the Board of Regents of the University of Nebraska.
The Chief Negotiator shall for agencies within the jurisdiction of the division:
(1) Negotiate or supervise the negotiations of labor contracts on a statewide basis;
(2) Be responsible for the administration of all collective-bargaining agreements, except that the Chief Negotiator may delegate such responsibility to designated representatives who may be employees of state agencies when the Chief Negotiator deems it appropriate;
(3) Be vested with authority on all mandatory topics of bargaining to negotiate the contracts. Contracts may adjust or change rates of pay and other terms and conditions of employment that are mandatory topics of bargaining pursuant to the Industrial Relations Act and the State Employees Collective Bargaining Act;
(4) Make recommendations to the Governor and Legislature regarding wages, hours, and conditions of employment for all unorganized employees. The recommendations submitted to the Legislature shall be submitted electronically;
(5) Consult with agency and department heads regarding possible terms of labor contracts and administration of agreements when appropriate; and
(6) Manage the day-to-day operations of the division.
The division and the Chief Negotiator may represent any of the constitutional offices in labor contract negotiations and administration of contracts if requested to do so by such offices by resolution of the governing officer or body submitted to the Chief Negotiator and affected collective-bargaining agent and filed with the commission.
The responsibilities for negotiating contracts with employees of the Nebraska state colleges and the University of Nebraska shall not be exercised by the division and the Chief Negotiator. The Board of Regents and the Board of Trustees of the Nebraska State Colleges shall be responsible for negotiating contracts with exclusive collective-bargaining agents for their employees.