Nebraska Revised Statute 79-8,142
Incentive for voluntary termination; school district; duties.
(1) A school district may agree to pay incentives to a certificated employee in exchange for a voluntary termination of employment.
(2) For purposes of this section, incentives paid in exchange for a voluntary termination of employment include any amount paid, except pursuant to the Retirement Incentive Plan or Staff Development Assistance agreement required under sections 79-854 to 79-856 for school districts involved in a unification or reorganization, to or on behalf of any certificated staff member in exchange for a voluntary termination of employment, including, but not limited to, early retirement inducements and costs to the school district for insurance coverage for such certificated staff member or any member of such certificated staff member's family.
(3) Incentives paid to a certificated teacher in exchange for a voluntary termination of employment shall be a qualified voluntary termination incentive for a certificated teacher for purposes of sections 77-3442 and 79-1028.01 if:
(a) All current and future incentives paid by the school district to such certificated teacher for such voluntary termination of employment do not exceed thirty-five thousand dollars in total and such school district has not and shall not pay any other incentives to such certificated teacher for any voluntary termination of employment;
(b) All current and future incentives for such voluntary termination of employment are paid within five years after such voluntary termination of employment or prior to such certificated teacher becoming eligible for medicare, whichever occurs first;
(c) Such school district has, to the satisfaction of the State Board of Education, demonstrated that the payment of such incentives in exchange for a voluntary termination of employment will result in a net savings in salary and benefit costs to the school district over a five-year period; and
(d) Such incentives to be paid in exchange for a voluntary termination of employment were not included in any collective-bargaining agreement.
(4) Each school district shall report all incentives paid in exchange for voluntary terminations of employment on the annual financial report in the manner specified by the department.
(5) The State Board of Education may adopt and promulgate rules and regulations to carry out the purposes of this section.