(1) Level I services refers to services provided to children with disabilities who require an aggregate of not more than three hours per week of special education services and support services and includes all administrative, diagnostic, consultative, and vocational-adjustment counselor services.
(2) The total allowable reimbursable cost for support services shall not exceed a percentage, established by the State Board of Education, of the school district's or approved cooperative's total allowable reimbursable cost for all special education programs and support services. The percentage established by the State Board of Education for support services shall not exceed the difference of ten percent minus the percentage of the appropriations for special education approved by the Legislature set aside for reimbursements for support services pursuant to subsection (5) of this section.
(3) For special education and support services provided in each school fiscal year, the State Department of Education shall reimburse each school district in the following school fiscal year a pro rata amount determined by the department. The reimbursement percentage shall be the ratio of the difference of the appropriations for special education approved by the Legislature minus the amounts set aside pursuant to subsection (5) of this section divided by the total allowable excess costs for all special education programs and support services.
(4) Cooperatives of school districts or educational service units shall also be eligible for reimbursement for cooperative programs pursuant to this section if such cooperatives or educational service units have complied with the reporting and approval requirements of section 79-1155 for cooperative programs which were offered the preceding year. The payments shall be made by the department to the school district of residence, cooperative of school districts, or educational service unit each year in a minimum of seven payments between the fifth and twentieth day of each month beginning in December. Additional payments may be made based upon additional valid claims submitted. The State Treasurer shall, between the fifth and twentieth day of each month, notify the Director of Administrative Services of the amount of funds available in the General Fund for payment purposes. The director shall, upon receiving such certification, draw warrants against funds appropriated.
(5) On and after August 1, 2010, residential settings described in subdivision (10)(c) of section 79-215 shall be reimbursed for the educational services, including special education services and support services, provided pursuant to such subdivision on or after August 1, 2010, in an amount determined pursuant to the average per pupil cost of the service agency. Reimbursements pursuant to this section shall be made from funds set aside for such purpose within sixty days after receipt of a reimbursement request submitted in the manner required by the department and including any documentation required by the department for educational services that have been provided, except that if there are not any funds available for the remainder of the state fiscal year for such reimbursements, the reimbursement shall occur within thirty days after the beginning of the immediately following state fiscal year. The department may audit any required documentation and subtract any payments made in error from future reimbursements. The State Board of Education shall set aside separate amounts from the appropriations for special education approved by the Legislature for reimbursements pursuant to this subsection for students receiving special education services and for students receiving support services for each state fiscal year. The amounts set aside for each purpose shall be based on estimates of the reimbursements to be requested during the state fiscal year and shall not be less than the total amount of reimbursements requested in the prior state fiscal year plus any unpaid requests from the prior state fiscal year.