During each fiscal year, the Department of Health and Human Services shall contract with the health clinics of Nebraska's federally recognized Native American tribes as approved by the tribal councils, Indian health organizations, or other public health organizations that have a substantial Native American clientele to provide educational and public health services pursuant to section 71-7617. The department shall fund all eligible contracts until the appropriation to this program is depleted, but shall give priority to contracts which meet the following criteria:
(1) Programs or activities that directly impact the health and well-being of children;
(2) Programs or activities which serve the greater number of people over the longest period of time;
(3) Programs or activities that are part of a larger plan for strategic public health planning and implementation;
(4) Current programs or activities that have demonstrated success in improving public health or new programs or activities modeled on successful programs and activities; and
(5) Programs or activities that focus on primary prevention and show promise in reducing future health care expenditures.