(1) The Women's Health Initiative Advisory Council is created and shall consist of not more than thirty members, at least three-fourths of whom are women. At least one member shall be appointed from the following disciplines: (a) An obstetrician/gynecologist; (b) a nurse practitioner or physician's assistant from a rural community; (c) a geriatrics physician or nurse; (d) a pediatrician; (e) a community public health representative from each congressional district; (f) a health educator; (g) an insurance industry representative; (h) a mental health professional; (i) a representative from a statewide health volunteer agency; (j) a private health care industry representative; (k) an epidemiologist or a health statistician; (l) a foundation representative; and (m) a woman who is a health care consumer from each of the following age categories: Eighteen to thirty; thirty-one to forty; forty-one to sixty-five; and sixty-six and older. The membership shall also include a representative of the University of Nebraska Medical Center, a representative from Creighton University Medical Center, the chief medical officer if one is appointed under section 81-3115, and the Title V Administrator of the Department of Health and Human Services.
(2) The Governor shall appoint advisory council members and shall consider and attempt to balance representation based on political party affiliation, race, and different geographical areas of Nebraska when making appointments. The Governor shall appoint the first chairperson and vice-chairperson of the advisory council. There shall be two ex officio, nonvoting members from the Legislature, one of which shall be the chairperson of the Health and Human Services Committee.
(3) The terms of the initial members shall be as follows: One-third shall serve for one-year terms, one-third shall serve for two-year terms, and one-third shall serve for three-year terms including the members designated chairperson and vice-chairperson. Thereafter members shall serve for three-year terms. Members may not serve more than two consecutive three-year terms.
(4) The Governor shall make the appointments within three months after July 13, 2000.
(5) The advisory council shall meet quarterly the first two years. After this time the advisory council shall meet at least every six months or upon the call of the chairperson or a majority of the voting members. A quorum shall be one-half of the voting members.
(6) The members of the advisory council shall be reimbursed for their actual and necessary expenses as provided in sections 81-1174 to 81-1177 and pursuant to policies of the advisory council. Funds for reimbursement for expenses shall be from the Women's Health Initiative Fund.
(7) The advisory council shall advise the Women's Health Initiative of Nebraska in carrying out its duties under section 71-701 and may solicit private funds to support the initiative.