71-641. Birth certificates; without given name; legal change of name; procedure.

(1) Until the registrant's seventh birthday, the given name, for a child whose birth was recorded without a given name, may be added based upon an affidavit signed by (a) both parents, (b) the mother in the case of a child born out of wedlock or the death or incapacity of the father, (c) the father in the case of the death or incapacity of the mother, or (d) the guardian or agency having legal custody of the registrant in the case of the death or incapacity of both parents. A certificate amended in this manner prior to the first birthday shall not be marked amended.

(2) After the seventh birthday, one or more items of documentary evidence must be submitted to substantiate the name being added.

(3) For a legal change of name, a certified copy of the court order changing the name must be presented to the department along with data to identify the birth certificate and a request that it be amended to show the new name.

Source:Laws 1971, LB 245, § 8; Laws 1997, LB 307, § 166; Laws 2007, LB296, § 442.