(1) An individual shall not be eligible to work on an asbestos project unless the individual holds the appropriate class of license issued by the department. Application for a license shall be made as provided in the Uniform Credentialing Act. An individual shall be credentialed in the same manner as an individual under subsection (1) of section 38-121 and shall be subject to the disciplinary provisions of the act as provided in section 71-6314.
(2) The department shall issue the following classes of licenses: Worker; supervisor; inspector; management planner; project monitor; and project designer. To qualify for a license of a particular class, an individual shall have (a) successfully completed a training course approved or administered by the department, (b) been examined by a physician within the preceding year and declared by the physician to be physically capable of working while wearing a respirator, and (c) passed an examination approved or administered by the department with at least the minimum score prescribed by the department. An individual holding such a certificate on December 1, 2008, shall be deemed to be holding a license under the Uniform Credentialing Act and the Asbestos Control Act on such date. The certificate holder may continue to practice under such certificate as a license in accordance with such acts until the certificate would have expired under its terms.
(3) As an alternative to the qualifications in subdivision (2)(a) of this section, an individual shall have completed a fully accredited United States Environmental Protection Agency Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act of 1986 training program or the individual shall be currently accredited by a United States Environmental Protection Agency fully accredited state asbestos model accreditation plan adopted pursuant to 40 C.F.R. 763. In addition to the alternative qualifications, the individual shall successfully complete a four-hour course approved by the department on Nebraska law, rules, and regulations and shall pass an examination thereon which shall be approved and may be administered by the department.
(4) The department may issue a limited license to a project designer or management planner who does not intend to enter any management plan, project design, or asbestos project worksite. An applicant for a limited license under this subsection shall not be required to comply with the requirements of subdivision (2)(b) of this section. A holder of a limited license shall not enter any management plan, project design, or asbestos project worksite. The limitation shall be endorsed upon the license. Violation of the limitation shall be grounds for disciplinary action against the license pursuant to section 71-6314. An individual holding a limited certificate on December 1, 2008, shall be deemed to be holding a limited license under the Uniform Credentialing Act and the Asbestos Control Act on such date. The certificate holder may continue to practice under such limited certificate as a limited license in accordance with such acts until the limited certificate would have expired under its terms.
(5) The department shall approve instructors of training courses. To qualify for approval, an individual shall have (a) graduated from high school or obtained a general educational development certificate or equivalent document as determined by the department, (b) successfully completed an approved four-hour course on Nebraska law, rules, and regulations, and (c) at least one year of actual work experience in the asbestos industry.