Any county and any city of the primary class located therein shall have the power jointly or severally to take all necessary and proper steps for the extermination of mosquitoes, flies, or other insects of public health importance within their respective areas of jurisdiction and shall have the following powers:
(1) To abate as nuisances all stagnant pools of water and other breeding places for mosquitoes, flies, or other insects of public health importance within their areas;
(2) To purchase such supplies and materials and to employ such labor as may be necessary or proper in furtherance of the objectives set forth in sections 71-2917 and 71-2918;
(3) To make contracts to indemnify or compensate the owner of land or other property for any injury or damage necessarily caused by the exercise of these powers or arising out of the using, taking, or damaging of property for any of the purposes set forth in sections 71-2917 and 71-2918;
(4) To exercise the power of eminent domain and to take private property for public use within their respective areas of jurisdiction for the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this section, and all damages sustained by the owners of the property taken shall be ascertained and paid for in the manner set forth in sections 76-704 to 76-724, and amendments thereto;
(5) Generally to do any and all things necessary or incidental to the powers granted in sections 71-2917 and 71-2918, including but not limited to the right to enter upon private property for all necessary inspections and to carry out the objectives set forth in sections 71-2917 and 71-2918; and
(6) To appropriate the necessary funds to carry out the objectives contained in sections 71-2917 and 71-2918.