Drugs may be administered to residents of a long-term care facility by authorized personnel of the long-term care facility from the contents of emergency boxes located within such long-term care facility if such drugs and boxes meet all of the following requirements:
(1) All emergency box drugs shall be provided by and all emergency boxes containing such drugs shall be sealed by a supplying pharmacy with the seal on such emergency box to be of such a nature that it can be easily identified if it has been broken;
(2) Emergency boxes shall be stored in a medication room or other secured area within the long-term care facility. Only authorized personnel of the long-term care facility or the supplying pharmacy shall obtain access to such room or secured area, by key or combination, in order to prevent unauthorized access and to ensure a proper environment for preservation of the emergency box drugs;
(3) The exterior of each emergency box shall be labeled so as to clearly indicate that it is an emergency box for use in emergencies only. The label shall contain a listing of the drugs contained in the box, including the name, strength, route of administration, quantity, and expiration date of each drug, and the name, address, and telephone number of the supplying pharmacy;
(4) All emergency boxes shall be inspected by a pharmacist designated by the supplying pharmacy at least once every thirty days or after a reported usage of any drug to determine the expiration date and quantity of the drugs in the box. Every inspection shall be documented and the record retained by the long-term care facility for a period of five years; and
(5) All drugs in emergency boxes shall be in the original manufacturer's or distributor's containers or shall be repackaged by the supplying pharmacy and shall include the manufacturer's or distributor's name, lot number, drug name, strength, dosage form, NDC number, route of administration, and expiration date on a typewritten label. Any drug which is repackaged shall contain on the label the calculated expiration date.
For purposes of the Emergency Box Drug Act, calculated expiration date has the same meaning as in section 38-2808.01.