For purposes of the State Hospital Survey and Construction Act:
(1) Department shall mean the Department of Health and Human Services;
(2) The federal act shall mean, but is not restricted to, Public Law 88-156, Public Law 88-164, Public Law 88-581, Public Law 88-443, and other measures of similar intent which have been, or may in the future be, passed by the Congress of the United States;
(3) The Surgeon General shall mean the Surgeon General of the Public Health Service of the United States or such other federal office or agency responsible for the administration of the federal Hospital Survey and Construction Act, 42 U.S.C. 291 and amendments thereto;
(4) Hospital includes, but is not restricted to, facilities or parts of facilities, which provide space for public health centers, mental health clinics, and general, tuberculosis, mental, long-term care, and other types of hospitals, and related facilities, such as homes for the aged or infirm, laboratories, out-patient departments, nurses' home and educational facilities, and central service facilities operated in connection with hospitals;
(5) Public health center shall mean a publicly owned facility for providing public health services, including related facilities such as laboratories, clinics, and administrative offices operated in connection with public health centers; and
(6) Nonprofit hospital shall mean any hospital owned and operated by a corporation or association, no part of the net earnings of which inures, or may lawfully inure, to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.