The Legislature finds and declares that:
(1) The family is vital to the fundamental development of each person in the State of Nebraska;
(2) A growing number of families are searching for ways to provide for disabled family members in the home rather than placing them in state or private institutional or residential facilities;
(3) Employable disabled persons should be encouraged to engage in employment and ultimately become self-supporting;
(4) Necessary services should be available to families caring for a disabled family member so that disabled persons may remain in the home, obtain employment if possible, and maintain a more independent form of living;
(5) The State of Nebraska should make every effort to preserve the family unit, to insure that decisions of providing for a disabled person are based on the best interests of the disabled person and the family, and to provide services to disabled persons which promote independent living and employability; and
(6) The State of Nebraska should promote cost-effective health care alternatives for disabled persons.