Nebraska Revised Statute 60-6,335
Snowmobile operation; regulation; equipment; permission of landowner.
(1) No person shall operate a snowmobile upon any highway except as provided in sections 60-6,320 to 60-6,346. Subject to regulation by the Department of Transportation and by local authorities, in their respective jurisdictions, a snowmobile may be operated on the roadway of any highway, on the right-hand side of such roadway and in the same direction as the highway traffic, except that no snowmobile shall be operated at any time within the right-of-way of any controlled-access highway within this state.
(2) A snowmobile may make a direct crossing of a highway at any hour of the day if:
(a) The crossing is made at an angle of approximately ninety degrees to the direction of the highway and at a place where no obstruction prevents a quick and safe crossing;
(b) The snowmobile is brought to a complete stop before crossing the shoulder or roadway of the highway;
(c) The driver yields the right-of-way to all oncoming traffic which constitutes an immediate hazard;
(d) In crossing a divided highway, the crossing is made only at an intersection of such highway with another highway; and
(e) When the crossing is made between sunset and sunrise or in conditions of reduced visibility, both the headlights and taillights are on.
(3) No snowmobile shall be operated upon a highway unless equipped with at least one headlight and one taillight, with reflector material of a minimum area of sixteen square inches mounted on each side forward of the handlebars, and with brakes.
(4) A snowmobile may be operated upon a highway other than as provided by subsection (2) of this section in an emergency during the period of time when and at locations where snow upon the roadway renders travel by automobile impractical.
(5) Unless otherwise provided in sections 60-6,320 to 60-6,346, all other provisions of Chapter 60 shall apply to the operation of snowmobiles upon highways except for those relating to required equipment and those which by their nature have no application.
(6) No person shall operate a snowmobile upon any private lands without first having obtained permission of the owner, lessee, or operator of such lands.
- Laws 1971, LB 330, § 13;
- Laws 1972, LB 1149, § 2;
- Laws 1977, LB 230, § 11;
- R.S.1943, (1988), § 60-2013;
- Laws 1993, LB 370, § 431;
- Laws 1993, LB 575, § 49;
- Laws 1995, LB 459, § 4;
- Laws 2017, LB339, § 229.
- Operation of snowmobile during public emergency or in parades, see section 60-6,348.