Nebraska Revised Statute 60-6,300
Vehicles; excess load prohibited; exception; violation; penalty.
(1) It shall be unlawful to operate upon the public highways of this state any truck, truck-tractor, or trailer that weighs in excess of the gross weight for which the registration fee on such vehicle has been paid plus one thousand pounds, but this section shall not apply to any truck, truck-tractor, or trailer being operated under a special permit issued pursuant to section 60-6,298 if the vehicle is properly registered pursuant to such section.
(2)(a) Any person operating any truck, truck-tractor, or trailer in violation of this section shall be guilty of a traffic infraction and shall, upon conviction, be fined twenty-five dollars for each one thousand pounds or fraction thereof in excess of the weight allowed to be carried under this section with tolerance.
(b) In lieu of issuing a citation to an operator under subdivision (2)(a) of this section, the Superintendent of Law Enforcement and Public Safety may assess the owner of the vehicle a civil penalty for each violation of this section in an amount equal to twenty-five dollars for each one thousand pounds or fraction thereof in excess of the gross weight for which the registration fee on such vehicle has been paid plus one thousand pounds. The superintendent shall issue an order imposing a penalty under this subdivision in the same manner as an order issued under section 75-369.04 and any rules and regulations adopted and promulgated under section 75-368 and any applicable federal rules and regulations.
- Laws 1933, c. 105, § 5, p. 426;
- Laws 1939, c. 47, § 1, p. 208;
- Laws 1941, c. 125, § 2, p. 481;
- C.S.Supp.,1941, § 39-1193;
- R.S.1943, § 39-723;
- Laws 1947, c. 147, § 2(4), p. 406;
- Laws 1953, c. 134, § 2, p. 418;
- Laws 1969, c. 318, § 2, p. 1155;
- C.S.Supp.,1972, § 39-723.03;
- Laws 1979, LB 287, § 2;
- Laws 1984, LB 726, § 3;
- Laws 1986, LB 783, § 1;
- R.S.1943, (1988), § 39-6,182;
- Laws 1993, LB 370, § 396;
- Laws 2013, LB398, § 1.
Section applies to any motor truck carrying a load. Aulner v. State, 160 Neb. 741, 71 N.W.2d 305 (1955).
Where load exceeds maximum allowed plus tolerance, penalty is based on overload. State v. Luttrell, 159 Neb. 641, 68 N.W.2d 332 (1955).