Nebraska Revised Statute 60-6,292
Extra-long vehicle combinations; permit; conditions; fee; rules and regulations; violation; penalty.
(1) The Department of Transportation may issue permits for the use of extra-long vehicle combinations. Such permits shall allow the extra-long vehicle combinations to operate only on the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways and only if such vehicles are empty and are being delivered for the manufacturer or retailer, except that a highway located not more than six miles from the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways may also be designated in such permits if it is determined by the Director-State Engineer that such designation is necessary for the permitholder to have access to the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways. An annual permit for such use may be issued to each qualified carrier company or individual. The carrier company or individual shall maintain a copy of such annual permit in each truck-tractor operating as a part of an extra-long vehicle combination. The fee for such permit shall be two hundred fifty dollars per year.
(2) The permit shall allow operation of the following extra-long vehicle combinations of not more than three cargo units and not fewer than six axles nor more than nine axles:
(a) A truck-tractor, a semitrailer, and two trailers having an overall combination length of not more than one hundred five feet. Semitrailers and trailers shall be of approximately equal lengths;
(b) A truck-tractor, semitrailer, and single trailer having an overall length of not more than one hundred five feet. Semitrailers and trailers shall be of approximately equal lengths; and
(c) A truck-tractor, semitrailer, or single trailer, one trailer of which is not more than forty-eight feet long, the other trailer of which is not more than twenty-eight feet long nor less than twenty-six feet long, and the entire combination of which is not more than ninety-five feet long. The shorter trailer shall be operated as the rear trailer.
For purposes of this subsection, a semitrailer used with a converter dolly shall be considered a trailer.
(3) The department shall adopt and promulgate rules and regulations governing the issuance of the permits, including, but not limited to, selection of carriers, driver qualifications, equipment selection, hours of operations, weather conditions, road conditions, and safety considerations.
(4) Any person who violates this section shall be guilty of a Class IV misdemeanor.
- Laws 1984, LB 983, § 1;
- R.S.1943, (1988), § 39-6,179.01;
- Laws 1993, LB 370, § 388;
- Laws 2017, LB339, § 221.