(1) Any person who holds an unrevoked and unexpired amateur radio station license issued by the Federal Communications Commission and is the owner of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer, except for motor vehicles and trailers registered under section 60-3,198, may, in addition to the application required by section 60-385, apply to the department for license plates upon which shall be inscribed the official amateur radio call letters of such applicant.
(2) Such license plates shall be issued, in lieu of the usual numbers and letters, to such an applicant upon payment of the regular license fee and the payment of an additional fee of five dollars and furnishing proof that the applicant holds such an unrevoked and unexpired amateur radio station license. The additional fee shall be remitted to the State Treasurer for credit to the Highway Trust Fund. Only one such motor vehicle or trailer owned by an applicant shall be so registered at any one time.
(3) An applicant applying for renewal of amateur radio station license plates shall again furnish proof that he or she holds an unrevoked and unexpired amateur radio station license issued by the Federal Communications Commission.
(4) The department shall prescribe the size and design of the license plates and furnish such plates to the persons applying for and entitled to the same upon the payment of the required fee.
(5) This subsection applies beginning on an implementation date designated by the director. The director shall designate an implementation date that is on or before January 1, 2021. The county treasurer or the department may issue temporary license stickers to the applicant under this section for the applicant to lawfully operate the vehicle pending receipt of the license plates. No charge in addition to the registration fee shall be made for the issuance of a temporary license sticker under this subsection. The department shall furnish temporary license stickers for issuance by the county treasurer at no cost to the counties. The department may adopt and promulgate rules and regulations regarding the design and issuance of temporary license stickers.