Nebraska Revised Statute 60-3,104.02
Specialty license plates; organization; requirements; design of plates.
(1) The department shall issue specialty license plates for any organization which certifies that it meets the requirements of this section. The department shall work with the organization to design the plates.
(2) The department shall make applications available pursuant to section 60-3,104.01 for each type of specialty license plate when it is designed. The department shall not manufacture specialty license plates for an organization until the department has received two hundred fifty prepaid applications for specialty license plates designed for that organization. The department may revoke the approval for an organization's specialty license plate if the total number of registered vehicles that obtained such plate is less than two hundred fifty within three years after receiving approval.
(3) In order to have specialty license plates designed and manufactured, an organization shall furnish the department with the following:
(a) A copy of its articles of incorporation and, if the organization consists of a group of nonprofit corporations, a copy for each organization;
(b) A copy of its charter or bylaws and, if the organization consists of a group of nonprofit corporations, a copy for each organization;
(c) Any Internal Revenue Service rulings of the organization's nonprofit tax-exempt status and, if the organization consists of a group of nonprofit corporations, a copy for each organization;
(d) A copy of a certificate of existence on file with the Secretary of State under the Nebraska Nonprofit Corporation Act;
(e) Two hundred fifty prepaid applications for the alphanumeric specialty license plates; and
(f) A completed application for the issuance of the plates on a form provided by the department certifying that the organization meets the following requirements:
(i) The organization is a nonprofit corporation or a group of nonprofit corporations with a common purpose;
(ii) The primary activity or purpose of the organization serves the community, contributes to the welfare of others, and is not offensive or discriminatory in its purpose, nature, activity, or name;
(iii) The name and purpose of the organization does not promote any specific product or brand name that is on a product provided for sale;
(iv) The organization is authorized to use any name, logo, or graphic design suggested for the design of the plates;
(v) No infringement or violation of any property right will result from such use of such name, logo, or graphic design; and
(vi) The organization will hold harmless the State of Nebraska and its employees and agents for any liability which may result from any infringement or violation of a property right based on the use of such name, logo, or graphic design.
(4)(a) One type of plate under this section shall be alphanumeric plates. The department shall assign a designation up to five characters and not use a county designation.
(b) One type of plate under this section shall be personalized message plates. Such plates shall be issued subject to the same conditions specified for personalized message license plates in section 60-3,118, except that a maximum of five characters may be used. Personalized message specialty license plates under this section shall only be issued after the requirements of subsection (3) of this section have been met.
(5) The department may adopt and promulgate rules and regulations to carry out this section.
- Nebraska Nonprofit Corporation Act, see section 21-1901.