(1) No alcoholic liquor shall be sold for consumption on the premises within three hundred feet from the campus of any college or university in the state, except that this section:
(a) Does not prohibit a nonpublic college or university from contracting with an individual or corporation holding a license to sell alcoholic liquor at retail for the purpose of selling alcoholic liquor at retail on the campus of such college or university at events sanctioned by such college or university but does prohibit the sale of alcoholic liquor at retail by such licensee on the campus of such nonpublic college or university at student activities or events; and
(b) Does not prohibit sales of alcoholic liquor by a community college culinary education program pursuant to section 53-124.15.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (4) of this section, the commission may waive the three-hundred-foot restriction in subsection (1) of this section taking into consideration one or more of the following:
(a) The impact of retail sales of alcoholic liquor for consumption on the premises on the academic mission of the college or university;
(b) The impact on students and prospective students if such sales were permitted on or near campus;
(c) The impact on economic development opportunities located within or in proximity to the campus; and
(d) The waiver would likely reduce the number of applications for special designated licenses requested by the college or university or its designee.
(3) To apply for a waiver under this section, the applicant shall submit a written application to the commission. The commission shall notify the governing body of the affected college or university when the commission receives an application for a waiver. The application shall include:
(a) The address of the location for which the waiver is requested;
(b) The name and type of business for which the waiver is requested; and
(c) A description of the justification for the waiver explaining how the proposed location complies with the findings prescribed in subsection (2) of this section.
(4) The commission shall not waive the three-hundred-foot restriction in subsection (1) of this section without written approval from the governing body of the college or university or its designee if the physical location of the property which is the subject of the requested waiver is (a) surrounded by property owned by the college or university including any public or private easement, street, or right-of-way adjacent to the property owned by the college or university or (b) adjacent to property on two or more sides owned by the college or university including any public or private easement, street, or right-of-way adjacent to the property owned by the college or university.
(5) No bottle club shall be operated within three hundred feet from the campus of any college or university in the state.