(1) For purposes of this section:
(a) Family member means an individual who is the spouse, child, parent, brother, sister, grandchild, or grandparent, by blood, marriage, or adoption, of an official or employee in the executive branch of state government;
(b) Nepotism means the act of hiring, promoting, or advancing a family member in state government or recommending the hiring, promotion, or advancement of a family member in state government, including initial appointment and transfer to other positions in state government; and
(c) Supervisor means an individual having authority, in the interest of the state, to hire, transfer, suspend, lay off, recall, promote, discharge, assign, reward, or discipline employees, responsibility to direct them or to adjust their grievances, or effectively to recommend any such action, if the exercise of such authority is not merely of a routine or clerical nature but requires the use of independent judgment.
(2) Except as authorized in subsection (5) of this section, an official or employee in the executive branch of state government shall not engage in nepotism.
(3) Except as authorized in subsection (5) of this section, an official or employee in the executive branch of state government shall not act as a supervisor to his or her family member.
(4) In addition to the other penalties authorized under the Nebraska Political Accountability and Disclosure Act, any person violating this section may be subject to disciplinary action.
(5)(a) The head of an agency may, upon a written showing of good cause, grant an exception to subsection (2) or (3) of this section. The written showing of good cause shall be filed with the commission and shall be considered a public record.
(b) An official or employee in the executive branch of state government who becomes a supervisor to his or her family member other than by means of nepotism shall notify the head of the agency within seven days of becoming aware of such situation and may continue to act as a supervisor until the head of the agency remedies the situation. The head of the agency shall act as soon as practicable.
(6) It is the intent of the Legislature that the legislative branch and the judicial branch of state government develop and implement internal policies prohibiting nepotism and the supervision of a family member.