For the purposes of sections 42-364.01 to 42-364.14, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) Earnings shall mean compensation paid or payable for personal services, whether denominated as wages, salary, commission, bonus, or otherwise, and shall include any periodic payments pursuant to a pension or a retirement program and any payments made to an independent contractor for services performed;
(2) Disposable earnings shall mean that part of the earnings of any individual remaining after the deduction from those earnings of any amounts required by law to be withheld, excepting the amounts required to be deducted and withheld pursuant to sections 42-357 and 42-363 to 42-365 or those provisions allowing garnishment, attachment, or execution;
(3) Employer shall mean any person, partnership, limited liability company, firm, corporation, association, political subdivision, or department of the state in possession of earnings;
(4) Employee shall mean any person who is compensated by an employer for services performed, regardless of how such compensation is denominated, and shall include independent contractors who receive compensation for services;
(5) Workweek shall mean any seven consecutive days during which a parent-employee performs work, provides services, or sells goods or services for an employer; and
(6) Pay period shall mean that regular interval of time, whether it be daily, weekly, biweekly, semimonthly, monthly, or some other regular interval, for which an employer pays earnings to a parent-employee.