(1) No person shall throw or deposit upon any highway:
(a) Any glass bottle, glass, nails, tacks, wire, cans, or other substance likely to injure any person or animal or damage any vehicle upon such highway; or
(b) Any burning material.
(2) Any person who deposits or permits to be deposited upon any highway any destructive or injurious material shall immediately remove such or cause it to be removed.
(3) Any person who removes a wrecked or damaged vehicle from a highway shall remove any glass or other injurious substance deposited on the highway from such vehicle.
(4) The Department of Transportation or a local authority as defined in section 60-628 may procure and place at reasonable intervals on the side of highways under its respective jurisdiction appropriate signs showing the penalty for violating this section. Such signs shall be of such size and design as to be easily read by persons on such highways, but the absence of such a sign shall not excuse a violation of this section.
(5) It shall be the duty of all Nebraska State Patrol officers, conservation officers, sheriffs, deputy sheriffs, and other law enforcement officers to enforce this section and to make prompt investigation of any violations of this section reported by any person.
(6) Any person who violates any provision of this section shall be guilty of (a) a Class III misdemeanor for the first offense, (b) a Class II misdemeanor for the second offense, and (c) a Class I misdemeanor for the third or subsequent offense.