The Auditor of Public Accounts and the Board of Public Roads Classifications and Standards shall develop and schedule for implementation a standardized system of annual reporting to the board by the Department of Transportation and by counties and municipalities, which system shall include:
(1) A procedure for documenting and certifying that standards of design, construction, and maintenance of roads and streets have been met;
(2) A procedure for documenting and certifying that all tax revenue for road or street purposes has been expended in accordance with approved plans and standards, to include county and municipal tax revenue, as well as highway-user revenue allocations made by the state;
(3) A uniform system of accounting which clearly indicates, through a system of reports, a comparison of receipts and expenditures to approved budgets and programs;
(4) A system of budgeting which reflects uses and sources of funds in terms of programs and accomplishments;
(5) An approved system of reporting an inventory of machinery, equipment, and supplies; and
(6) An approved system of cost accounting of the operation of equipment.