(1) The commission may issue permits for hunting elk and may adopt and promulgate separate and, when necessary, different rules and regulations therefor within the limitations prescribed in sections 37-447 and 37-452 for hunting deer.
(2) The commission shall, pursuant to section 37-327, establish and charge (a) a nonrefundable application fee of not more than twelve dollars for a resident elk permit and not to exceed three times such amount for a nonresident elk permit and (b) a fee of not more than one hundred ninety-eight dollars for each resident elk permit issued and three times such amount for each nonresident elk permit issued.
(3) An applicant shall not be issued a resident elk permit that allows the harvest of an antlered elk more than once every five years. A person may only harvest one antlered elk in his or her lifetime except when harvesting an antlered elk with a limited permit to hunt elk pursuant to subdivision (1)(b) of section 37-455 or an auction or lottery permit pursuant to section 37-455.01.
(4) The provisions for the distribution of deer permits and the authority of the commission to determine eligibility of applicants for permits as described in sections 37-447 and 37-452 shall also apply to the distribution of elk permits.
(5) Any person violating the rules and regulations adopted and promulgated pursuant to this section shall be guilty of a Class III misdemeanor and shall be fined at least two hundred dollars upon conviction.