30-2488. Allowance of claims; transfer of certain claims; procedures.

(a) As to claims presented in the manner described in section 30-2486 within the time limit prescribed in section 30-2485, the personal representative may mail a notice to any claimant stating that the claim has been disallowed. If, after allowing or disallowing a claim, the personal representative changes his or her decision concerning the claim, he or she shall notify the claimant. The personal representative may not change a disallowance of a claim after the time for the claimant to file a petition for allowance or to commence a proceeding on the claim has run and the claim has been barred. Every claim which is disallowed in whole or in part by the personal representative is barred so far as not allowed unless the claimant files a petition for allowance in the court or commences a proceeding against the personal representative not later than sixty days after the mailing of the notice of disallowance or partial allowance if the notice warns the claimant of the impending bar. Failure of the personal representative to mail notice to a claimant of action on his or her claim for sixty days after the time for original presentation of the claim has expired has the effect of a notice of allowance.

(b) At any time within fourteen days of the filing of a petition for allowance of a claim, the personal representative may transfer the claim to the regular docket of the county court by filing with the court a notice of transfer. The county court shall hear and determine the claim in the same manner as actions originally filed in the county court on the regular docket. The county court may order such additional pleadings as are necessary. If the claim is greater than the jurisdictional amount in subdivision (5) of section 24-517 and the personal representative requests transfer of the claim to the district court, upon payment by the personal representative to the clerk of the district court of a docket fee of the district court, the county court shall transfer the claim to the district court as provided in section 25-2706. If the claim is transferred to the district court, a jury trial is allowed unless waived by the parties as provided under section 25-1104.

(c) Upon the petition of the personal representative or of a claimant in a proceeding for the purpose, the court may allow in whole or in part any claim or claims filed with the clerk of the court in due time and not barred by subsection (a) of this section. Notice in this proceeding shall be given to the claimant, the personal representative, and those other persons interested in the estate as the court may direct by order entered at the time the proceeding is commenced.

(d) A final judgment in a proceeding in any court against a personal representative to enforce a claim against a decedent's estate is an allowance of the claim.

(e) Unless otherwise provided in any final judgment in any court entered against the personal representative, allowed claims bear interest at the legal rate for the period commencing sixty days after the time for original presentation of the claim has expired unless based on a contract making a provision for interest, in which case they bear interest in accordance with that provision.

Source:Laws 1974, LB 354, § 166, UPC § 3-806; Laws 1981, LB 42, § 21; Laws 1983, LB 137, § 4; Laws 1991, LB 422, § 4; Laws 2001, LB 269, § 3; Laws 2018, LB193, § 65.