(1) For purposes of this section:
(a) Detainee means an individual who has been:
(i) Arrested by a person;
(ii) Detained by a person, regardless of whether the detainee has been arrested or charged; or
(iii) Placed into the custody of a person, regardless of whether the detainee has been arrested or charged;
(b) Law enforcement agency means an agency or department of this state or of any political subdivision of this state which is responsible for the prevention and detection of crime; the enforcement of the penal, traffic, or highway laws of this state or any political subdivision of this state; and the enforcement of arrest warrants. Law enforcement agency includes a police department, an office of the town marshal, an office of the county sheriff, the Nebraska State Patrol, and any department to which a deputy state sheriff is assigned as provided in section 84-106; and
(c) Person means an individual:
(i) Who is employed by a law enforcement agency, including an individual working under contract with the agency;
(ii) To whom the law enforcement agency has authorized or delegated authority to make arrests, to place a detainee in detention or custody, or to otherwise exercise control over a detainee or a detainee's activities; and
(iii) Who is not the spouse of a detainee.
(2) A person commits the offense of sexual abuse of a detainee if the person engages in sexual penetration or sexual contact with a detainee. It is not a defense to a charge under this section that the detainee consented to such sexual penetration or sexual contact.
(3) An otherwise lawful pat-down or body cavity search by a person is not a violation of this section.
(4) Any person who engages in sexual penetration with a detainee is guilty of sexual abuse of a detainee in the first degree. Sexual abuse of a detainee in the first degree is a Class IIA felony.
(5) Any person who engages in sexual contact with a detainee is guilty of sexual abuse of a detainee in the second degree. Sexual abuse of a detainee in the second degree is a Class IIIA felony.