(1) The commission may prescribe the following: (a) General employment policies and procedures; (b) regulations for recruiting, examination, and certification of qualified applicants for employment and the maintenance of registers of qualified candidates for employment for all employees governed by the County Civil Service Commission Act; (c) a system of personnel records containing general data on all employees and standards for the development and maintenance of personnel records to be maintained within the offices governed by the act; (d) regulations governing such matters as hours of work, promotions, transfers, demotions, probation, terminations, and reductions in force; (e) regulations for use by all offices governed by the act relating to such matters as employee benefits, vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
(2) The commission shall require department heads to provide sufficient criteria to enable the commission to properly conduct employment examinations.
(3) The commission shall require department heads to supply to the commission position classification plans, job descriptions, and job specifications.
(4) Individual personnel records shall be available for inspection only by the employee involved, the employee's department head, and such other persons as the commission shall authorize.
(5) The commission shall have such other powers as are necessary to effectuate the purposes of the act.
(6) All acts of the commission pursuant to the authority conferred in this section shall be binding on all county department heads governed by the County Civil Service Commission Act.